Arts Festivals in West Berkshire and North Hampshire.
Hungerford & District Community Arts Festival (popularly known as HADCAF) takes place annually in July and aims to encourage, promote and celebrate the talent, expertise and skills that abound within our community. In addition to offering a platform to local individuals, societies and organisations, the Festival brings to the community performances of music and theatre that would not otherwise be seen locally.
The Festival seeks to include something for all ages, tastes and interests, and the programme encompasses a wide range of arts- and leisure-related events and attractions: the performing arts, visual arts, music of all kinds, exhibitions, talks, craft workshops, local history, antiques, horticulture, conservation and wildlife, guided walks, plus gardens and artists' studios to visit.
1 Little Hidden Farm Cottage
Newbury Spring Festival is a glorious fortnight of world class music in Newbury and its beautiful neighbouring villages, where international symphony orchestras, ensembles and soloists rub shoulders with jazz legends, world music artists and the stars of tomorrow.
1 Bridge Street
Open Studios West Berkshire and North Hampshire is organised entirely by a committee of volunteers made up of artists and other professionals who generously donate their time each year to ensure the scheme runs efficiently and within budget.
The scheme was set up in 1988 as a non-profit making organisation to celebrate the diversity of visual arts available within the local community. We strive to create a dialogue between artists and the community by encouraging members of the public to visit artists’ studios.
Open Studios runs in association with the Newbury Spring Festival.
What we offer
Every May our artists open their studios and exhibitions free of charge and are happy to talk about their creative process with visitors. We work to make entering any art space a comfortable experience, to encourage and promote accessibility to art and artists. Works of arts are normally for sale but there is no obligation to buy, the focus is on enjoying your visit.
As a visitor to Open Studios during May you can:
- Collect a free copy of our full-colour printed Directory of Artists from New Greenham Arts Centre, Newbury Corn Exchange, Tourist Information Centres, Libraries, Town Halls and Museums in the area.
- Plan your day by visiting at Greenham Business Park the INSIGHT exhibition, our showcase of work by all participating artists representing a diverse range of visual arts including sculpture, paintings, drawings, textiles, glass, jewellery, metalwork and furniture making.
- Visit artist studios - over 100 artists open their doors each year!
- Visit other group exhibitions at Arlington Arts, Benchmark, Newbury Corn Exchange, Newbury Library, The Watermill Theatre and West Berkshire Community Hospital.
- Take part in a Hands-on Workshop – there are six on offer this year.
Every artist who takes part in our Open Studios has been required to gain accreditation to the scheme which is vital in maintaining the high standards of the creative work on view.
You are welcome
We welcome any person, artists or otherwise, who feel that they could contribute in some way to the scheme. This could be in a professional capacity such as fundraising, accounts, marketing, taking minutes, administration or making teas at events. If you think you can help please get in touch.
Johannes von Stumm
113 Lindenmuth Way
Greenham Business Park